Sydney for Families – Holiday & Activity Ideas
Welcome to Sydney For Families
Sydney offers families an entire range of activities, eateries, attractions and accommodation styles that truly do offer something for everyone. The Capital City of NSW has won numerous awards for being one of the world’s most favoured cities, the most recent being voted in the Condé Nast readers choice as one of the world’s best cities, coming in at number 6.
It’s not just international travellers who love Sydney, there’s plenty of reasons for families to love Sydney too, so let’s take a look at what you can get up to with the kids in this gorgeous world class city!
Great Sydney Beaches For Families
It wouldn’t be a Sydney travel guide without mentioning the best beaches for families to visit.
- Bondi Beach – While Bondi itself can be prone to rips, head to the west side for the Bondi pools. This is a perfect area for kids to splash around in safely and offer peace of mind to parents that the kids can swim in a safe, supervised area.
- Whale Beach – This beach also offers a rock pool that is really great for kids. Time your visit, because it generally only fills at high tide. There’s also a playground nearby to burn off some extra energy.
- Cronulla – While the main beach is generally not a great family swim beach and is better suited to surfers, Shelly Beach offers another great rock pool and a large picnic area with bbq’s
Great Outdoor Family Activities in Sydney
- Sydney Park – This gorgeous 110 acre area in St Peters offers a gorgeous duck pond, gorgeous parks, sculptures, a heritage area, a 360 degree view over the city, playgrounds, and best of all, a bike track for the kids complete with traffic signs.
- Iron Cove Bay Walking Area – If getting out and about in nature is something you’re keen to do then this area provides a flat walk that is easy for young children, prams and bikes. During the walk you’ll take in sights like beaches, mangroves, and the harbour.
- Ride the Manly Ferry – For 155 years the Manly ferry has been taking people on a journey across the waves. Don’t miss out on this iconic excursion, enjoy the ride and once you get to Manly, treat the kids to a few hours at Oceanworld.
- Royal Botanic Gardens – This gorgeous garden area is one that just shouldn’t be missed. When planning your visit to the Botanic Gardens, a little bit of research to see what’s on in the gardens is a good idea, there’s always events, tours and activities taking place.
Great Family Attractions in Sydney
There are so many great attractions available to visitors in Sydney. We’re taking a quick look at some of the best for kids.
The attractions we’ve mentioned here are, for the most part in the city, which makes it easy for those focused on enjoying the city centre, we’ll be covering more around the greater Sydney region shortly:
- Luna Park – A true icon, this amusement park was restored and still holds much of it’s 1930’s charm. With something for all ages, from rides to sideshow attractions an experience well worth it.
- Taronga Zoo – The best way to get to the Zoo is by experiencing the Circular Quay Ferry. You’ll be amazed and greeted by a wide range of animals, and learn about the conservation initiatives undertaken by and suppported by the Zoo.
- Darling Harbour Attractions – You won’t be disappointed with things to do in Darling Harbour with kids. There’s plenty of free play areas, but for a true experience, head to WILD LIFE Sydney, Sydney SEA LIFE Aquarium and Madam Tussaud’s. Check out their websites for all in one passes to save lots of money.
As you can see, we’ve just touched the very tip of the amazing family activities that Sydney has to offer on your next family holiday. For Accommodation Sydneyalso has a great range of options, from caravan parks in the outer suburbs to a range of budget hotels through to family luxury hotels. You can easily take a day trip by train or plane, or within driving distance if you’re lucky enough. If you’re planning to stay, it definitely pays to plan a little in advance and be sure to stay somewhere nice and convenient to the main attractions you’re planning to visit.
Much thanks to Accommodation.com for this great post about the Sydney Region.
What are your favourite family friendly Sydney hot spots?