We get lots of people contacting us for information about the best accommodation Kangaroo Island has to offer, so we thought we’d give you the details of a few great places to stay, and how to choose your accommodation when you hit the island.
If you’re a regular reader of our blog, you’ll know that we love Kangaroo Island holidays. The island is a spectacular display of gorgeous wildlife, friendly locals and plenty of fun activities to do with the family.
Price of Budget Accommodation on Kangaroo Island
The best thing about choosing where to stay on KI is the huge variety of options you have to choose from. For a small island it would be easy to assume that you’d have limited choice, but the great news is that just isn’t so!
Budget Camping options on KI start at FREE!!! Yep, there’s a couple of spots that you can free camp on the island, one being the Parndana Hotel. We stayed there free on our visit, as we hadn’t really planned a place to stay for the night, so we went there for dinner…. it was a beautiful HUGE meal by the way, and decided just to pitch the tent.
Other campsites cost from as little as $5 per night per car for council unpowered sites, and there’s also a range of private caravan parks that have great facilities too.
Caravan Parks on Kangaroo Island:
- Kangaroo Island Shores Located in Penneshaw, this park overlooks Hog Bay Beach. (08) 8553 1075
- Kingscote Tourist Park Located in Kingscote, This is close to the shops of the main village. (08) 8553 2394
- Western KI Caravan Park Located outside of Flinders Chase National Park, close to wildlife attractions and surround by nature. (08) 8559 7201
Camp Grounds on Kangaroo Island
- Council Campgrounds include: Emu Bay, Vivonne Bay, American River, Browns Beach, Western River Cove. These campgrounds are all self registering, and when we stayed were $5 per night unpowered or $10 per night powered. Get in early to avoid disapointment, as spots can’t be reserved in these locations.
- Flinders Chase National Park has campgrounds available, these include West Bay, Snake Lagoon, Rocky River and Harvey’s Return. Bookings are required, as is a parks pass as you’ll be travelling via the National Park. Contact them on. (08) 8553 4490.
Other Budget Accommodation Options on KI start from around $30 per night for the Backpackers, through to $100- $150 per night for basic, but comfortable accommodation choices ranging from motels to cottages, we always use Wotif.com to book our accommodation, but it’s a great research tool to get a guide for prices too.
Luxury Accommodation on Kangaroo Island
If budget accommodation is not your style, then never fear, because there’s plenty of gorgeous places to stay on the island. Southern Ocean Lodge is regarded as one of the most beautiful accommodation options in Australia. Prices start at just under $1000 per night, per person, however if that’s within your budget, it’s definitely worth a visit. For us, this would be one of those places we can only dream of visiting, but if you ever get the chance to go we’d love to hear about it.
For those looking for a slightly lower budget, there are a range of farm stays, self contained cottages, B&B’s and luxury cabins to keep you cosy for just a couple of hundred dollars per night.
From personalised hospitality at B&B’s to your basic hotel, KI has something on offer for every travel style and every budget. Because of the relative small size of the island, no matter where you choose to stay, you’ll be able to explore from your location with plenty of ease.
If you’re wondering what’s to do on KI, this post we wrote after researching our holiday (but before we’d even hit the ground there) lists lots of the wonderful activities and attractions you’ll be able to see. Things to do on Kangaroo Island.